Skip to main content
Internet Archive's 25th Anniversary Logo

tv   The Cross Connection With Tiffany Cross  MSNBC  May 8, 2021 7:00am-9:00am PDT

7:00 am
>> good morning and welcome to "the cross connection." as you just saw, the distorted reality that donald trump created was alive and well last night in florida as self-proclaimed florida man congressman matt gaetz and marjorie tailor green launched their america first tour. gaetz is under investigation for allegedly trafficking a minor and green the cue a nonspark plug were alive and well at the area in florida. even under several criminal investigations, absolute allegiance to this man is vital for success in the gop. case in point. >> if liz cheney could even find wyoming on a map and went there,
7:01 am
she would find a lot of very angry cowboys who are not happy with the fact that she's voted for every war. war against trump and his supporters, for it. war against the republican conference. war against her own voters. >> now this is the house gop conference chair, liz cheney, whose voting record aligned with trump a whopping 92.9% of the time and she's at risk of losing her leadership position because she has denied fielty to trump. and likely taking her place is elise stefanik but who unabashedly shows up where it counts. >> voters are speaking loudly and clearly. president trump is the leader and the voice of the republican party. the job of the conference chair is to represent the majority of the house republicans, the vast majority of the house republicans support president
7:02 am
trump, and they also support his focus on election integrity and election security. >> joining me now is angela rye, host of on one with angela rye and msnbc analyst carlos vrbalo. angela, you heard the a plau this tour got. over 75 million people voted for donald trump. when half the electorate believes this craziness and subscribes to this crazy outlook, i mean, i'm at a loss. how do we set the country back on course when their vote counts just as much as mine. >> well, tiff, i think the challenge is really coming to terms with the fact that the country has always had a rough path and right now what folks are tapping into is what they believe is a righteous -- i almost said whiteous which would
7:03 am
have been a great freudian slip. it's a rage that says the thing that i stole is rightfully mine, right? and they stole land, so why wouldn't they steal or try to steal an election. they tried to steal the capitol, right? they're upset right now with liz cheney because she wrote in an op ed what is happening that history is watching, that our children are watching talking about the importance of coming to terms with what happened on january 6th, talking about the importance of understanding that that particular terrorist attack, which is what i call it, was just the beginning and if the language doesn't shift, if the mentality doesn't shift, if there isn't some real uprooting that happens, we are susceptible to this violence again. if they can't come to terms with that, tiffany, we're in real trouble. i think it's not just a reckoning for the republican party, it's a reckoning for the entire country. this should not be a partisan issue. it's about right and wrong.
7:04 am
i've been on this path by radical right and wrong. i'm talking about a thorough connection, a complete connection to truth and that's what this moment calls for. >> so i think you made a good point, angela. congressman, i'll turn it to you. you said with my colleagues that there are people who quietly support liz cheney. we can get to that. i'm curious, why is it the republicans are always so quiet. people who are quietly frustrated with donald trump. there are people quietly frustrated with the qanon congresswoman. i'm curious who you're talking to, what they're saying quietly and why are they so quiet? >> well, tiffany, regrettably a lot of people in the republican party today are choosing short-term political gains or short-term political safety over the long-term health of one of the two major parties in this country. we have two parties in this
7:05 am
country. they have to be viable, attractive alternatives otherwise we have no competition and we become a one party state. i don't think anyone wants to see that or anyone who does will probably regret it. we have too many republicans today who are putting their short-term political interests ahead of the long-term interests of the party and more importantly of the country. the choice before house republicans is not liz cheney versus elise stefanik. it's a question about whether or not they want to turn the republican party into a religion where god is donald trump, someone who has lied over and over again and, by the way, someone who has demonstrated to republicans that he cares a lot more about himself than he cares about the party or about any of them. that is a choice before republicans. if it were just liz cheney versus elise stefanik, that wouldn't be such a -- there wouldn't be much contrast there. as you just showed, liz cheney's voting record, it's one of the most conservative in the house,
7:06 am
but that doesn't matter in today's republican party and that's the problem. it's not about facts, about policies, about ideas, it's about following one person who has lied over and over and over again. >> angela, you brought up a really good point, that this reckoning was truth, right? we should have a truthful moment. something that kind of disturbed me this week is this reinvention of history, that we're going to paint liz cheney to be a hero. she is no hero. we remember. this is the only republican party i've known. she didn't denounce the birther rumors. she voted with donald trump over 92% of the time. she campaigned for trump because she just couldn't stomach hillary clinton. she is dismissing the american rescue plan as some, you know, agenda for radical leftists. so when you look at it through that lens, i'm curious how do we set the course right if we're so eager to paint her as the hero that she's not been to many of us. >> yeah.
7:07 am
tiff, this is where i think we can often get in trouble with putting ourselves in the boxes of things are clearly black and white. in the same op ed she wrote, she talks about blm and antifa. that's not real. stop talking about it. there's 70% in this op ed that are spot on. what is incumbent on folks who, you know, sit in the house of representatives with her? what is incumbent upon the gop conference and the democratic caucus is where is there alignment and how can we quickly reach alignment enough to do right on the issues, right? so, no, she's not a hero. no, she's not someone i would ever support, but as it relates to getting things done, a commission to study what happened on january 6th and ensure that never happens again, people who are our friends, people who are our mothers and fathers, brothers and sisters to
7:08 am
me on the hill, that their lives are never put at risk again, i'm aligned with her on that. i'm aligned with her about the donald trump personality. where we're not aligned is on the remaking, the revisionist history associated with the republican party. and moreover, the revisionist history that is associated with this country. if we don't come to terms with what is at the root, we will continue to have a perpetual argument about what is and not be able to talk about what could be. you cannot talk about what could be while you're still lying about what was. >> i think angela makes a good point, congressman. i'll toss it back to you. something i'm really curious about because again we're trying to manage this electorate, understand this electorate. in florida i think the republicans did make in roads with large portions of the latino population, and it's not just, you know, cuban americans down there. there was an increase among multiple parts of the latino voting coalition and republicans.
7:09 am
i'm curious because that's your area. why do you think trump has been able to make such in roads? is it domestic policy, foreign policy or both? >> well, tiffany, it's certainly a lot of foreign policy. down here in south florida,colo nicaragua, they're local and not foreign policy. the trump campaign and the trump administration was a lot more effective than democrats during the four years that they were in office in highlighting these issues and showing the community that the administration was working on them regardless of how you feel about the policies. but certainly they invested a lot in this space and that made a big difference. now another factor that hurt democrats was republicans were effective at sticking the socialist label on democrats. south florida's democratic communities in particular, that's a toxic word. a lot of people who lived here flag socialist revolutions. the way the term is used was
7:10 am
exaggerated and was manipulated, but that line of attack was effective and republicans did make significant gains among latinos, even among african-americans in this area. i think it's important for democrats not to take those groups for granted and understand the diversity that exists within those groups. there's not just one black community, one latino community. there are differences and diversity within each. >> i'll stick with you on this because i'm curious when we talk about diversity. i mean, your voting record -- you're republican. you voted with trump i think over 80% of the time but you differed with him. you did buck the system when you were in office. i'm curious because of your affiliation with the republican party, what do you view is your responsibility now to either set the party back on track or set the country back on track? >> tiffany, one.
7:11 am
of the main reasons i've remained a republican is we only have two political parties in this country. if we had ten, it would be very easy to switch. you could find another party that kind of fit your idea of what government's role in society should be, and you could move around, but in this country we just have two. if one of those two parties becomes a failed party, we become a one party country like china, like cuba, like so many other countries that i don't think we want to be like. so i think wherever we are, if we're democrats, if we're republicans, even if you're an independent these days, you want both parties to be healthy. in this case i think the republican party needs to be renewed. it has to become a party about ideas, about proposals and it is not right now. again, it is about following one person. i mean, that's not what we want for our families, for our children and for our future.
7:12 am
we go on -- it's a good debate to have and whoever wins wins, but we should be debating ideas, not figuring out whether something's true or not. and nothing that donald trump is saying is true. as a matter of fact, he's lying over and over again. >> yeah. >> while a lot of progress sifts don't agree with liz cheney, i think we can all agree at this political moment in history she's telling the truth. >> you'll have to come back so we can debate more. congressman, i appreciate you making the time. angela, i know you'll want to get in on this. you'll have to stick around for the next hour. up next, the growing assault on your right to vote, from florida to texas. we'll find out how we can all fight back. that's coming up next. our people. watch the curb. not having a ride to get the vaccine. can't be the reason you don't get it. you wanna help? donate a ride today.
7:13 am
keeping your oysters business growing has you swamped. you need to hire. i need indeed indeed you do. the moment you sponsor a job on indeed you get a shortlist of quality candidates from a resume data base claim your seventy-five-dollar credit when you post your first job at indeed.com/promo
7:14 am
♪ pepto bismol coats and soothes your stomach for fast relief and get the same fast relief in a delightful chew with pepto bismol chews. alice loves the scent of gain so much, she wished there was a way to make it last longer. say hello to your fairy godmother alice. and long-lasting gain scent beads. part of the irresistible scent collection from gain! [sizzling] i may not be able to tell time, but i know what time it is. [whispering] it's grilled cheese o'clock. oh when june-- but i khit that guy! it is. yes! wait i don't remember that! it's in season 4 - don't tell me you haven't seen it! i watched season 3. you won't stay caught up for long unless you keep watching the best shows from hulu,
7:15 am
peacock, starz, showtime, and hbo max, all year long. just say "watchathon" into your voice remote to add a channel or streaming service and stay caught up.
7:16 am
history says: fine jewelry for occasions. we say: forget occasions. (snap) fine jewelry for every day, minus the traditional markups. ♪♪ it's waiting for all texans and with that, mr. speaker, i move passage of senate bill 7. >> protests are expected in texas this morning after the republican controlled texas house pushed through a restrictive voting bill friday afternoon. it's now headed to conference where the final language will be hammered out behind closed doors. this comes on the heels of florida governor desantis signing his version of ballot restrictions. so the only media allowed in the room, fox news. joining me now, stephanie young
7:17 am
chief officer for communications and culture and partnership at when we all vote and lynn nguyen, executive director of run aapi. i'm very happy to have you here. i'll start with you. texas has advanced the bill. we know the problem. we know interests going to be rampant voter suppression. what do we do about it? . >> what's so gross and violent, we were waking up to find out democracy died in the middle of the night and very few people knew this. we were debating this until 4 in the morning. what are our next steps? understanding where hr 1 currently stands, whether it's going to pass in the senate. people haven't been waiting.
7:18 am
this has gone down for years. we look at our siblings over in georgia. so for us it's just these games, again, from the gop, this is just the start. we have to understand that. >> what we saw with forever flotus, michelle obama, new to the electorate, she was saying targeting high school students who would be eligible to vote by election day. so, again, we know the problem. my question is, what's the solution? how will when we all vote engage in these ridiculous, draconian laws coming out of the state level. you spent time on capitol hill. i'm curious if you have thoughts on how to advance hr 1 on capitol hill with the
7:19 am
democratic -- or not republican controlled senate but slim majority in the house and the senate? >> absolutely. what we know first that we have to do is educate people. people do not understand how much power they have in this moment. that is why we have mrs. obama along with 64 of her friends pen a letter about how important the for the people act was and is and playing a role on that. john legend to ari an da grande, chris paul. we wanted to make sure they understand they don't have to feel helpless. there are ways to take action. we have tools and resources for them to do that. we have scripts for them to call their senators and express not only their outrage but either thank them for their votes or ask them to take a vote to make sure that we're able to get this passed and over the finish line. we understand that we have to reach people where they are. we have to go to nontraditional places to make sure they're educating them and giving them
7:20 am
the tools and resources to follow up. we've had over 6,000 people to make calls. we've signed on to do the work that we do. not only to educate but advocate for hr 1. also to advocate for the jobless voting act. we need both of those things. what we don't want people to feel is overwhelmed. feel the jig is up. there's nothing i can do. there's so much you can do and i'm so glad to know folks are going to be out on the streets. if you look at bills like the george floyd policing act, that never would have happened if this country didn't stand up. we have to take action. we know we have to not only just educate people, we have to give them the tools and resources and we have to organize them and mobilize them across the country. that's what we're working on right now. >> we're talking about organizing folks across the country. i want you to take a listen to some sound from some of the leaders who signed these bills into law. >> this bill makes it easy to vote and hard to cheat. >> right now i have what we
7:21 am
think is the strongest election integrity measures in the country. i'm actually going to sign it right here. it's going to take effect. so here you go. bill is signed. >> we don't need to wait for bad things to happen in order to try and protect and secure these elections and to make sure that this is a process that everyone's following. >> so it's very clear to me who these bills target. you know, we saw an increase in a more diverse voting electorate. >> exactly. >> it's clear the bills target that increase. i'm curious for you, do you think that the -- are they cutting their noses off despite their face? do you think these laws will impact even their voter turnout? >> this is -- it is so reflective of 2020. we saw unprecedented turnout. there were more democratic voters, more republican voters. i think one of the greatest issues now is understanding what is this going to mean for us in
7:22 am
mid terms for 2022. we saw the long lines. we were in georgia. here in the south. one of the greatest issues right now is understanding the messaging. tiffany, this is where democrats -- we tend to struggle. we tend to struggle in how we can honor black and brown and asian indigenous communities. this is our moment. we have to rise and meet this moment. there's a lot of work that's being done on the community based organizing and now it's also going to fall on our candidates to understand how to reach people because that is going to be a big issue going into mid terms in less than -- really in a year and a half. >> yeah. you know, i think reaching people is a think that both your organizations are trying to do. stephanie, take a listen to this sound about what voter suppression can do to primaries. >> did you realize that that purity at the ballot box language in the texas
7:23 am
constitution gave rise to all white primaries? >> no. no, i didn't. >> and did you know that this purity at the ballot box justification was also used during the jim crow era to prevent black people from voting? >> no. no, those are troubling things. i didn't know that was there. >> i'm going to argue, i believe maybe he didn't know that. this is -- >> he knew. >> voter suppression -- >> he knew. >> there's no point. >> stephanie, look, i will say i think we have in michelle obama a forever flotus who is unapologetically truthful about this. will when we all vote call a spade a spade? >> absolutely. >> go ahead. >> yeah. absolutely. we know this is partisan politics. we know that this is partisan really voter suppression at the end of the day, that is unamerican. you are trying to stop a certain group of people from voting, elderly, people with disabilities and people of color to ensure that you can win
7:24 am
elections and that is why it is so critically important not just to call a spade a spade but to make sure people understand their power. if folks read our letter, we do that. if we go down and sign up to take action with us, we increased our voting principles. we call these laws racist, discriminatory, obviously targeting people of color. obviously targeting people that folks feel like they are not going to vote for them. this is a situation where politicians are working really, really hard to try to pick their voters. that is not what happens in the united states of america. we're going to do everything we can to empower people to take action and call a spade a spade and make sure people understand why the for the people act is so critically important. you can make sure the folks that are representing you actually represent your values. >> right. >> these two pieces of legislation go so far to put the protections in that we need and we're going to fight really hard for it. >> stephanie, you have to come
7:25 am
back. lin, both of you guys. keep us posted on what we can do and how you are engaging. voter advocates are planning to gather for a protest starting at noon eastern time. keep it right here on msnbc for the latest on that. the changing face of the american electorate and why both democrats and republicans may need to start rethinking their strategy. you don't want to miss it. that's coming up next. so with your home & auto bundle, you'll save money and get round-the-clock protection. -sounds great. -sure does. shouldn't something, you know, wacky be happening right now?
7:26 am
we thought people could use a break. we've all been through a lot this year. -that makes sense. -yeah. so... ♪♪ now's not a good time 3/5ths of nsync. are you sure? you have us booked all day. -read the room, guys. -yeah. right? -read the room, guys. -yeah. ♪♪ (vo) the rule in business used to be, "location, location, location." now it's, "network, network, network." so you need a network that's built right. verizon business unlimited starts with america's most reliable network. then we add the speed of verizon 5g. we provide security that's made for business and offer plans as low as $30 per line. more businesses choose verizon than any other network. we are open and ready for you. with relapsing forms of ms... there's a lot to deal with. not just unpredictable relapses. all these other things too. it can all add up.
7:27 am
kesimpta is a once-monthly at-home injection... that may help you put these rms challenges in their place. kesimpta was proven superior at reducing the rate of relapses, active lesions, and slowing disability progression vs aubagio. don't take kesimpta if you have hepatitis b, and tell your doctor if you have had it, as it could come back. kesimpta can cause serious side effects, including infections. while no cases of pml were reported in rms clinical trials, it could happen. tell your doctor if you had or plan to have vaccines, or if you are or plan to become pregnant. kesimpta may cause a decrease in some types of antibodies. the most common side effects are upper respiratory tract infection, headache, and injection reactions. ready for an at-home treatment with dramatic results? it's time to ask your doctor about kesimpta.
7:28 am
7:29 am
so what do you love about your always pan? it's a kitchen magician. have you ever seen a pan cook three things at once? new population counts from the 2020 census could up end the unusual balance of power in national politics but a smart bit of news analysis this week from "the new york times" correspondent argues that increasing voter diversity might not be as much of a help to democrats or even a threat to republicans as either side thought. joining me to break this down is fernand amandi. very happy to have you here. i have so many questions about this.
7:30 am
you know, one of the things that i found most striking is that the voting electorate got more diverse. voters of color increased. white voters who typically vote republican decreased yet that doesn't help democrats. why? >> well, tiffany, in a nutshell, although the democrats continue to win, the non-black, non-white vote by significant margins, we're talking about hispanic voters, asian-american voters and others, they're not quite at the overwhelming margins that they need to do so to win states, for example, like texas, like florida. so i think that is what is contributing. the republicans as inexplicable as it may sometimes think given that they are the anti-immigrant, the most xenophobic of american parties that we see today, they still are doing a decent job managing the margins of these electorates in some of these key
7:31 am
battleground states. >> right. >> that factor coupled with also we don't often necessarily see those communities of color, those voters from the diverse backgrounds necessarily voting at the turnout percentage that they need to. that is what's leading to this phenomenon. >> well, i want you to take a listen because the people to the right of us have been warning about this white replacement theory. take a listen to the warnings. >> now i know that the left and all of the gate keepers on twitter become literally hysterical if you use the term replacement if you suggest the democratic party is trying to replace the current elector rate, the voters now casting ballots, with new people, more obedient voters from the third world. they become hysterical, that's what's happening. let's just say it, that's true. >> let's just say it. tucker is crazy.
7:32 am
he's obviously wrong. fernand, what's your response to that? >> let me wipe the stink off of that. that racist talk is stinking it up here. >> insanity. it's insanity. honestly, what's your response? look, i mean, i think something i found really interesting about this is you do need white voters to win and i think there are so many people, particularly disenfranchised white voters whose interests align but there are some white voters who to still vote against their own self-interests. as a pollster how do you address these things. how do you appeal to one base while not alienating another? >> well, tiffany, first let's look at the facts and just talk about why tuckums is 100% wrong. if joe biden had not improved his performance with white voters in 2020 versus what hillary clinton did, he would not be the president of the united states today.
7:33 am
democracy -- american democracy would not have been saved. so i think you laid it out correctly. the democrats, if they want to maximize their advantage on issues and at the ballot box, they have to stop this idea of choosing between one set of voters and the other. the best democratic message is one that appeals to the electorate at large. now that doesn't necessarily also mean it needs to be a similar message. we know that some communities respond to some issues over others but, again, we need to see more democratic engagements, yes, with white voters but also with hispanic voters, african-american voters, asian voters across the spectrum and if they start doing those things, i think they can be successful. what are some examples of this? states like california. a lot of people forget because it seems like ancient history, wasn't that long ago, in the '70s, in the '80s, even in the early '90s california was a purple state. it was on one side or the other
7:34 am
but we saw increasing diversity with hispanic voters, asian voters, african-american electorate plus white voters shifting their allegiance, made it the strongest of the blue states. and i think you're starting to see the possibility of that phenomenon take place in new states. we saw in arizona this last cycle. georgia, of course, the same phenomenon. i think if the democrats think of this idea, not choosing but engaging in the electorate, they could move along on the subject. >> that's a really good point. i think this is why we're seeing so many voter suppression bills come in, because california was a microcosm and cast a wide net of influence on what's happening. thank you, fernand, for breaking it down for us. you'll have to come back very soon. don't go anywhere at home, next, the case that could change what you think about capital punishment. a stunning story. that's coming up right after the break. it's coming back to you now...
7:35 am
real pants. find amex offers to save on the brands you love. one of the many things you can expect when you're with amex. when you buy this plant at walmart, they can buy more plants from metrolina greenhouses
7:36 am
so abe and art can grow more plants. so they can hire vilma... and wendy... and me. so, more people can go to work. so, more days can start with kisses. when you buy this plant at walmart. ♪♪ when it comes to laundry, everyone thinks their way is the right way.at walmart. i wash on delicate. i just stuff everything in. you have to wash on cold, because it saves energy. the secret is, tide pods work no matter how you wash. so, everyone is right. it's got to be tide. [tv announcer] come on down to our appliance superstore where we've got the best deals on refrigerators, microwaves, gas ranges and grills. and if you're looking for...
7:37 am
not all 5g networks are created equal. ♪ where we've got the best deals on refrigerators, microwaves, t-mobile america's largest and fastest 5g network. there's more to a yard than freshly cut grass. which is exactly why we built these mowers, to clear the way for stuff like this, right here. run with us, because the best yards are planted with real memories. search john deere mowers for more. i'm ordering some burritos! oh, nice. burritos?! get a freshly made footlong from subway® instead. with crisp veggies on freshly baked bread. just order in the app! ditch the burgers! choose better, be better. subway®. eat fresh.
7:38 am
it was the state's first execution since 2005. one that state officials said was necessary because a drug used for lethal injections was about to expire. lidell lee was put to death just before midnight arkansas time after the state and supreme court denied efforts to stop his execution. >> for more than 20 years that he was on death row lidell lee maintained that he was innocent. this week four years after his execution lawyers say that new dna testing of the murder weapon points to a different assailant. the potentially wrongful conviction is stirring a much needed conversation on capital punishment. while just this week in south carolina lawmakers voted to add firing squads, that's right, firing squads to the way that the state can execute people. joining me now, robert dunham
7:39 am
and christina ross. senior advocate for criminal justice programs at amnesty international. christina, i'll start with you and ask, what justice is served when you exonerate someone after they've already been executed? >> thank you so much, tiffany, for having me on today. thanks for the question. i think it's pretty obvious that that isn't justice and at this point i want to also point out that while there certainly is new evidence that's come to light in regard to this case, there are still details being reported. so i think what this really points to more importantly is that as we look at the death penalty, there are -- this sort of dna evidence should have been done before lidell lee was executed in the first place and we see these patterns with others who are on our death rows in the u.s. those who have claims such as kevin cooper and rocky myers. we see this particularly with black men. we have to assess what justice
7:40 am
could be and acknowledge the brokenness of our criminal legal system, particularly when it comes to the use of the death penalty. >> certainly the point and, you know, the brokenness of the system is certainly something we should reckon with but i'll ask you, robert, because we as a country haven't figured out how to execute people. there are so many reports of botched lethal injections. this is why you have people bringing things back like firing squads, a very inhumane way. i don't know if there is a humane way to take someone's life. where do we stand? what's going wrong there? is that something that we might see change in the coming years? >> i think we're in the midst of seeing a change. the american pharmaceutical companies have uniformly decided that they do not want their medicines used to carry out executions so they won't sell drugs to the states to kill prisoners. and that makes sense if your
7:41 am
whole business is about trying to save lives and protect lives. you don't want your products known as things that will kill people. so the pharmaceutical companies are opting out of capital punishment. as a result, states have been unable to obtain drugs legally. they've done it by subterfuge and gone to compounding pharmacies in some other cases. that creates a whole other range of problems. when the main drug that states had been using became unavailable, they shifted to a drug called nadazalon. the result of that was numerous botched executions including joseph wood in the state of arizona in which it took him nearly two hours to die. so legislators are faced with a choice and their choice is do we sit back when we are unable to carry out lethal injections or do we go to other alternatives. the problems are all the other
7:42 am
alternatives are things the american public absolutely hates and they're gruesome. for a long time lethal injection has propped up this image that you could have a civil, peaceful death but the autopsy results we've seen recently show that that that's a myth. >> we're having an interesting point in the country now, christina, a racial reckoning. some people call it looking at our criminal justice system. certainly there are stark racial disparities when it comes to who is sentenced to death in this country. what surprised me is that the supreme court actually ruled in 1987 that racial disparities did not impact someone's equal protection under the law, yet when you look at the numbers, white and black people each make up 42% of inmates on death row and white people 60% of the population, black people 13% of
7:43 am
the population. what's the role of the federal government in addressing some of the disparities that we see when it comes to these types of disparities? >> well, as i think the public probably knows, this administration, different from the last, has made a commitment to seeing it into the death penalty and has made a campaign promise that they want to work with congress to pass legislation to abolish the death penalty. however, they have some authority and tools in their toolbox to do so. president biden has the ability to commute all 46 people who are living under federal sentence of death right now and there are most certainly racial disparities that exist there. in the last slide african-americans make up about 13% of the u.s. population yet of those 46 individuals i mentioned, 39% of them are black people. it's clear that justice is not being metered out fairly when it comes to even the most extreme punishment here in the u.s. i look back to a couple of years ago in washington state when
7:44 am
their supreme court abolished the death penalty. the foundation of that decision or ruled the death penalty unconstitutional. the foundation was the disparity. we see black men where errors have been made, jurors have expressed racial animus or their legal representation has done so. the only way to do this is to end the death penalty altogether. >> do you have any idea, robert, about how many people have been exonerated through dna evidence, who have escaped the death penalty that way? >> well, there have been 185 people who are wrongly convicted and sentenced to death who have been exonerated since 1972. about 1/4 of them have been exonerated with dna evidence. that's what's so important. the dna evidence tells us a lot about the cases in which it isn't present. there have been case after case
7:45 am
where we've seen individuals asking for dna evidence and not being granted. florida has denied dna testing in more than 70 cases but there have been 28 exonerations with dna and those cases have shown overwhelming prosecutorial misconduct, false confessions at a rate four times that of other cases, a lot of misleading forensic evidence and when you have a case where there is no physical evidence that links a person to an offense and the state is opposing dna testing, you have to wonder why. the data is stunning. the data is stunning. there are 185 exonerations from death row against 1,532 executions. >> right. >> that means there's exoneration for every 8.3 people we've executed. >> wow. well, i have a lot more questions but we have to leave it right there. thank you, robert dunham and
7:46 am
christina ross. for more on this story tune in to "american voices." he served 18 years on death row. he was relieved in 2011. alecia has great stuff on her show. up next we're going to make it make sense. we're here for the heavy flow-ers and the wedgie-pickers with a pad made like no other up to zero leaks because it locks blood in up to zero bunching because it flexes no worries just always flexfoam
7:47 am
7:48 am
[sfx: kids laughing] [sfx: bikes passing] [sfx: fire truck siren] onstar, we see them. okay. mother and child in vehicle. mother is unable to exit the vehicle. injuries are unknown. thank you, onstar. ♪ my son, is he okay? your son's fine. thank you. there was something in the road... it's okay. you're safe now. needles. essential for sewing, but maybe not for people with certain inflammatory conditions. because there are options. like an “unjection.” xeljanz. the first and only pill of its kind that treats moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, or moderate to severe ulcerative colitis when other medicines have not helped enough. xeljanz can lower your ability to fight infections.
7:49 am
before and during treatment, your doctor should check for infections, like tb and do blood tests. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b or c, have flu-like symptoms, or are prone to infections. serious, sometimes fatal infections, cancers including lymphoma, and blood clots have happened. taking a higher than recommended dose of xeljanz for ra may increase risk of death. tears in the stomach or intestines and serious allergic reactions have happened. needles. fine for some. but for you, there's a pill that may provide symptom relief. ask your doctor about the pill first prescribed for ra more than seven years ago. xeljanz. an “unjection.”
7:50 am
welcome back to "the cross connection" and it's that time again. time to make it make sense. >> the democrats control the house and the senate, but they're negotiating dale wet republicans about the scope of a january the 6th inquiry and hearings. january the 6th was potentially the worst assault on democracy since the civil war. is this approach by the democrats in working with the republicans just politics,
7:51 am
procedural or an approach that they must take legally? thank you. >> all right, mike. thanks for that question, and it's been four months and our democracy, as you know, is still reeling from the attack on the capitol and the danger remains. capitol police say threats against lawmakers have doubled since last year showing how important it is that we get to the bottom of how that insurrection happened. one way to do that mi be a commission like the one formed after 9/11 that could piece together what happened that day and the failures of intelligence, policing and leadership that led up to it, and just to remind everyone what we're talking about, hundreds of deplorables with trump flags and confederate flags marched down pennsylvania avenue encouraged by the president even getting cheered on by members of congress before bum rushing an overwhelmed and underprepared capitol police force to scale walls, smash windows and doors
7:52 am
all to get inside the capitol. these so-called patriots looted offices and destroyed whatever they could get their hands on, all of this to stop the lawful certification of a lawful election. look, mike, i know you know this, but i think it's important that we remember what happened because most republicans are trying to whitewash what happened that day, come through with the receipts. whether it's josh hawley claiming to the people that he signalled that they were just peaceful demonstrators, right, or kevin mccarthy going from condemning the attack to ousting liz cheney from leadership for insisting donald trump be held accountable for his role in it all and that's exactly why we need a 9/11-style commission to figure out exactly how this could happen to the seat of american government and to make sure we never forget, but even though lawmakers from both parties have called for such a commission it seems nearly impossible at this point. you're right, mike, the democrats have been negotiating
7:53 am
with the republicans on the commission. speaker pelosi, and the same numbers of republicans and democrats. the fact that she's negotiating comes down to tell the story of the insurrection, the gold standard that will be as credible by everybody. the idea is that won't happen if democrats go full steam ahead with the one-sided investigation so the conventional wisdom is you need bipartisanship for credibility. when one party is trying to tell us this never happened, there may be no way to move forward which means there is no way to forming that commission. it comes as no surprise democrats are hitting a negotiations brick wall. i'm not that optimistic that we'll see any meaningful investigations into january 6th come out of this congress, but i will say i take comfort in knowing at least the fbi is not letting up or sleeping on these
7:54 am
criminals. more than 440 insurrectionists have been charged and agents say they're still rounding up the worst of the worst. so whatever happens, mike, in this mess of a congress there will be some accountability for a few of the folks who attacked the capitol and folks at home, if you've got a question about politics or policy that you're not getting answered anywhere else, that's why i'm here. so send us a short videoey request with what you want to know. you can send that to cross connection@nbcuni.com and make sure, you guys, make sure it is a video and we want to see your beautiful faces and i want to share the screen with you and don't forget to tell us your name and where you're from and keep it to 60 seconds or less and don't go anywhere because at the top of the hour, new charges against the officers in george floyd's death, michelle obama's revealing new interview and the return of the dad bod starring will smith. don't go anywhere. d starring will smith don'got anywhere.
7:55 am
d can. only always ultra thins have rapiddry technology and, they absorb 40% faster. the gush happens fast. that's why always absorbs faster. obsession has many names, this is ours. the lexus is. all in on the sports sedan. lease the 2021 is 300 for $369 a month for 36 months. experience amazing, at your lexus dealer. do you struggle with occasional nerve aches lease the 2021 is 300 for $369 a month for 36 months. in your hands or feet? try nervivenerve relief from the world's #1 selling nerve care company. nervive contains alpha lipoic acid to relieve occasional nerve aches, weakness and discomfort. try nervivenerve relief. if you wanna be a winner then get a turkey footlong from subway®. that's oven roasted turkey. piled high with crisp veggies. on freshly baked bread! so, let's get out there and get those footlongs. now at subway®, buy one footlong in the app, and get one 50% off. subway®. eat fresh. ♪ it's grilled cheese time. ♪ ♪ yeah, it's time for grilled cheese. ♪
7:56 am
♪ after we make grilled cheese, ♪ ♪ then we're eating grilled cheese. ♪ ♪ because it's time. ♪ ♪ yeah. ♪ ♪ time for grilled cheese. ♪ ♪ pepto bismol coats and soothes your stomach for fast relief ♪ yeah. ♪ and get the same fast relief in a delightful chew with pepto bismol chews. hey lily, i need a new wireless plan for my business, but all my employees need something different. oh, we can help with that. okay, imagine this... your mover, rob, he's on the scene and needs a plan with a mobile hotspot. we cut to downtown, your sales rep lisa has to send some files, asap! so basically i can pick the right plan for each employee... yeah i should've just led with that... with at&t business... you can pick the best plan for each employee and only pay for the features they need. (judith) in this market, you'll find fisher investments is different than other money managers. (other money manager) different how? don't you just ride the wave?
7:57 am
(judith) no - we actively manage client portfolios based on our forward-looking views of the market. (other money manager) but you still sell investments that generate high commissions, right? (judith) no, we don't sell commission products. we're a fiduciary, obligated to act in our client's best interest. (other money manager) so when do you make more money? only when your clients make more money? (judith) yep, we do better when our clients do better. at fisher investments we're clearly different. which shows will you be getting into tonight? how 'bout all of them. netflix. 'cause xfinity gets you really into your shows. when one burns for someone who does not feel the same. daphne, let's switch. from live tv to sports on the go. felix at the finish! you can even watch your dvr from anywhere. okay, that's just showing off. you get all of this on x1. so go on, get really into your shows. you need a breath mint. xfinity. it's a way better way to watch.
7:58 am
♪♪ ♪♪ in certain times people look to us often, what do you think? how do you feel and we know that while we're all breathing a sigh of relief over the verdict, there's still work to be done and so we can't sort of say great, that happened, let's move
7:59 am
on. >> welcome back to "the cross connection." this is the part of the show where we talk about the hottest trending topics of the week including the former first lady's reaction to the chauvin verdict. while on the ground in elizabeth city, north carolina, faith leaders are demanding justice for andrew brown and now a federal grand jury has indicted derek shoafin and three other minneapolis police officers on charges of violating george floyd's civil rights during an arrest. chauvin was violated the rights of a 14-year-old in 2017 holding this child by the throat and striking him several times on the head with a flashlight. this comes days after chauvin's attorney requested a new trial on several grounds including jury misconduct. joining us to discuss, angela rye, and host of unwon by angela
8:00 am
rye, and host of the digital show, and rove, i want to go to you, you're on the ground in elizabeth city, north carolina, tell me what's happening there. in a few minutes they'll have a rally leaders from all over north carolina with the naacp, they want to keep the attention going since andrew brown jr. there have been daily protests here in elizabeth city, all peaceful, but every single day there's been a protest and this is the latest. >> and what are they asking for? >> i know the judge has released 20 minutes of video to the family. what are the protesters demanding from the city? >> well, that's one of the issues that they actually have, that the judge limited how much video they were going to be able to release, just a maximum 20
8:01 am
minutes out of two hours and also they're angry that the judge has taken so long. you will likely see calls for the d.a. to recuse himself and to turn this over to allow the attorney general to come in. they want full transparency and they're saying they simply have not gotten it and that's the pressure they want and some questions being raised about this particular judge, as well. because of that decision, he all of a sudden is vetting videotape and he also said nearly two weeks ago the family will get to see the video within ten days and he went into thursday to issue the ruling and say the clock of the ten days started on thursday so folks are, like, what's going on. what's the deal? >> angela, this is the point that i was making earlier and it's not just that this one police officer was on trial and it's the system that's on trial. so we just talked about chauvin's incident with the 14-year-old where he assaulted this child, hitting them in the head with the flashlight. i'm curious, the temerity that
8:02 am
his attorneys are requesting a new trial on the heels of this revelation. could this impact his chances of getting another trial? >> no. what we have to be clear about separating is the newest indictments are federal indictments under section 242 which requires that police officers -- that the prosecution proves that police officers acted with intent. willfully subjected someone to the deprivation of their rights. that's what's happening in both of those cases and this other case where he has already been convicted of murder as well as two other lesser charges, have to do with that particular appeal at the state level. so it is a very different thing. what we also have to be mindful of is the judge did not admit the evidence associated with the case with the 14-year-old which is the second indictment derek chauvin is a part of right now
8:03 am
at the federal level again. the department of justice has a responsibility under 242 with folks acting under the color of the law and that's what police officers have done here, unreasonable illegal search and seizure, unreasonable force and no medical attention as it relates to george floyd and with the young man, the young boy, the 14-year-old boy who he grabbed by the throat and beat several times with a flashlight and it's unreasonable force and unreasonable seizure of 2017. if there was never a george floyd we would not have the federal charges against derek chauvin now. it took 9 minutes and 29 seconds watching someone lose their life for this young boy to even get an attempt at justice. >> black people in this country have had routinely had to die in spectacular fashion to appease the white narratives. there is a lot of debate about
8:04 am
defund the police, from your peers about defund the police because it's a messaging problem or do people that you talk to have a challenge with the actual policy of re-allocating funds and re-thinking public safety? >> i don't think it's a messaging problem. time and time again we have seen that even though communities are told to turn to the state in order to have our wounds be helped and rulings would suggest that we can breathe a sigh of relief, we have so much more to go. it honestly feels like we're being given bread crumbs, specially when you compare it against the system and history of how the state has failed people of color. good point. roland, everywhere i go and
8:05 am
watching your show and you engage a lot with your viewers, do your viewers say that defund the police is a messaging problem or a policy problem program i've heard from black people who don't understand the hash tag. they just see that and get nervous about it, what do people say to you about that whole message as a policy? >> i'll make two comparisons. defund the police and obamacare. here's what you have. when you have the opposition who then will turn it on you and then will attack and then will spin it with their particular narrative, that's what you have. so you've had individuals who explain exactly what that means. the problem that we have to confront with the united states is we don't have to deal with the reality that in many cities, 30%, 30% of the entire city budget has used policing for
8:06 am
everything. to all of the people. i've heard congressman jim clyburn and other democrats say oh, defund the police is bad. okay, got you. give me a phrase, then. exactly what is it? at the end of the day people want to see the shifting of resources and getting away from a country where there is a complete focus about the police and so the folks who are out there protesting, they've explained what it means and they've explained what they want to see happen, but the resistance is the people are doing it because they're afraid of the cops and the police have powerful police unions and a powerful narrative and oh, my god, i need to be safe and they don't want to give up the resources and shift it to social workers and shift it to folks with mental health. that's the fundamental problem in this country, how we look at policing. >> angela, roland makes a good point, and i want to shift us to atlanta because in atlanta, we found out mayor keisha lance bottoms announced that she won't
8:07 am
run for a second term and i want you to take a listen to what she said. >> in the same way that it was very clear to me almost five years ago that i should run for mayor of atlanta, it is abundantly clear to me that it is time to pass the baton on to someone else. >> now this announcement comes on the heels as the officer who shot rayshard brooks has been allowed to go back on patrol duty and she's been pretty successful when it comes to fund raising and she has a 68% approval rating. what do you think this is about because she didn't give any hints to what her political future looks like. >> no, tiffany, i haven't talked to mayor keisha who i say is my mayor named keisha about this at all. i'm trying to give her the space
8:08 am
to contemplate whatever step she makes next and i saw pain and exhaustion around that experience that i think a lot of people don't understand. i think the rayshard brooks killing really shook her up in ways that we'll never truly, truly understand. you saw that heart wrenching press conference and you saw the fallout in her feeling torn in yes, wanting to protect the city that she's the mayor of and being abundantly frustrated about police and police union power. this is the most heart wrenching black -- could go through. we heard president obama saying he could be his -- and that had
8:09 am
to do a lot of hadder decision. she has kids, young men in the house and -- yeah. so i think that that has a lot to do with it, but i will reserve judgment until i talk to her myself. >> yeah. definitely no judgment here. you know, i'm curious to see what her next steps are. there's also another race. bea nguyen and will run against the integrity of trump. there is a huge aapi voting bloc that proved to be instrumental in delivering power to the democrats and also brian kemp just signed into law a draconian show thor suppression bill so what do we think will happen with the electorate in georgia and how will they be impacted going forward?
8:10 am
>> our democracy works when they elect the people they represent and seeing is believing and aapi has made the margin of victory in georgia. so often, people especially, political parties overlook going to poll us and i'm grateful there's more representation out there. >> roland, i want to take your thoughts very quickly on keisha bottoms. >> folks need to understand, you are not a mayor monday through friday and it is very taxing and it is very difficult and she made a decision that said look, it's time to move on and that's in the best interest of voters because you want someone who is committed. if you read the book on maynard
8:11 am
jackson, and it took a toll and it ended up in divorce. >> speaking of taxing, this has been a taxing season on everybody, so for folks who might be carrying the quarantine 15, you're not alone. for those of us who might eat our emotions. will smith wrote on instagram this week. i'll be real with you all. i'm in the worst shape of my life and in the second post he strikes a post declaring he's ready to get back in shape. i have to tell you will smith with a dad bod still looks good looking to me. the man is handsome, when you get older you have to understand not everybody will look like a 25-year-old athlete, you know? so i think he looks handsome, but i know you know him. what are your thoughts on the dad bod craze that we're experiencing now. >> will is crazy. he started this whole internet viral moment now with all these men posting with their shirts off and i'm probably going to get dragged for this, but i wish
8:12 am
y'all would put your shirts back on. come on, look at this. like -- they look good. >> back up off the brother, angela! back up off the brothers, angela! >> hold on, roro. >> the only other thing is i do appreciate the shamelessness. here i am naked and not ashamed, it is all of me and my love handles which i can relate to, because i have love handles. you have the floor, roland martin. >> this could be a part of toxic diet culture. a lot of us are forced to starve ourselves or whatever. so before you weigh in just curious on what your thought is including the toxic diet culture that exists. >> i sent will a text saying hell, no, stop it! no, look. here's what he's done. first of all, you've got to remember it's a youtube series he's shooting and he'll be dealing with doctors and other people like that and i'm one of those folks, ain't no way in
8:13 am
hell that i'll be taking a photo with the shirt off, and i've been one of those folks who put the pounds on and dropped 15 since it started and plan to lose more and this is also important for black men, encouraging us to be able to lose weight, get healthy and african-american die at a younger rate than anyone else in this country, and so there is also a significant impact on brothers. so while we can joke about it and we can appreciate it, if this does help your lifestyle and choices then that's a very good thing. >> i agree. >> very good. you set us back on track, roland, as i object phi will smith. >> thank you very much. you guys will all have to come back. this is my favorite part of the show. i love hearing your thoughts. trump is still banned on facebook, at least for now, but the misinformation continues and we will discuss that after the break. es and we will discuss that after the break. ng your blood sugar is crucial. try boost glucose control. the patented blend
8:14 am
is clinically shown to help manage blood sugar levels. boost glucose control products contain high quality protein and key nutrients to support immune health. try boost. not everybody wants the same thing. that's why i go with liberty mutual — they customize my car insurance so i only pay for what i need. 'cause i do things a little differently. hey, i'll take one, please! wait, this isn't a hot-dog stand? no, can't you see the sign? wet. teddy. bears. get ya' wet teddy bears! one-hundred percent wet, guaranteed! or the next one is on me! only pay for what you need. ♪ liberty. liberty. liberty. liberty. ♪
8:15 am
- oh. - what's going on? - oh, darn! - let me help. lift and push and push! there... it's up there. hey joshie... wrinkles send the wrong message. help prevent them before they start with downy wrinkleguard. ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ ♪♪ [sizzling] i may not be able to tell time, but i know what time it is. [whispering] it's grilled cheese o'clock.
8:16 am
when traders tell us how to make thinkorswim even better, we listen. like jack. he wanted a streamlined version he could access anywhere, no download necessary. and kim. she wanted to execute a pre-set trade strategy in seconds. so we gave 'em thinkorswim web. because platforms this innovative, aren't just made for traders—they're made by them. thinkorswim trading. from td ameritrade.
8:17 am
8:18 am
>> it's a sad day for america. it's a sad day for facebook. there will be rallies that will happen very soon. the vast majority of americans want him to throw his hat back in the ring, and if i had to place a bet on it i would say that he would do exactly that based on my conversations with him. >> yeah. speak for yourself, mark. facebook upholding the ban of donald trump is not a sad day for the millions of us who felt terrorized daily of trump's use of social media to spread lies. this blog he created doesn't count. trumpism is still flourishing online. as "the new york times" reports far-right influencers are making bank on the streaming site twitch. joining me now is congressman ruben gallego, a democrat from arizona and the chairman of the bold pac and ramish.
8:19 am
sorry about that, professor, the professor of the ucla department of information studies and author of "beyond the valley." i have been watching your beef with congressman qanon, and i have to say there's a reason why, beyonce doesn't respond to haters, lebron doesn't yell at people on the bench because i feel like some of the loud people who make noise on twitter and instagram, they just want your attention. you elevate them by responding and that's always a debate, right? do we engage with crazy eyes or do we ignore her? . you engaged, why? >> she's a member of congress and she went on twitter and basically said that all democrats, after the insurrection, by the way, were enemies of the state and we were the enemy within essentially saying that we should be thrown or probably killed. that's how bad it is when you start saying stuff like that so i feel that it is incumbent upon
8:20 am
members to hold members beingable. it doesn't mean i will engage with her all of the time because i have a job, i have committees and assignments and pass bills and she doesn't care about that stuff. we can't let that messaging go unchecked, right? so i keep my house in order and that's the house of representatives until hopefully the people of georgia get smarter and i unfortunately have to keep her in check as it comes. >> and that's the scary part. you made a good point, the people of georgia get smarter and her constituents and my colleague, blayne alexander did an interview with people on the ground there and they seem devoted to her and they're engaging with people in a cult-like fashion. >> go ahead, congressman. >> from my experience, she's not the first of her kind. congress has seen her type come and go and she thinks she's special. she's not. congress will spit her out at some point and she'll be
8:21 am
forgotten and at the same time never do anything for her district and not pass a bill or do anything and at the end of the day her constituents end up suffering because of it. >> a lot of people said that about donald trump, and he elevated on the backs of white supremacists to the white house. so you know, knowing this country like i do, i'm not so convinced that she's as inconsequential as you say. >> professor, i'll turn to you on this because i think something that's dangerous about these social media platforms, you say january 6th, they were planning that live in the open and it was in plain sight and people weren't paying attention and i'm curious now because there are trumpisms congregating in spaces and what's being discussed now that we're not paying enough attention to or not talking about enough? >> a huge part of the issue is that people have found these different spaces online and as
8:22 am
the congressman said fringe groups have had their homes in various spaces in our country and not only have they found these different spaces online, but they keep changing the spaces that they go to and reddit threats or 8chan or 4chan or video gaming platforms, kid, teenagers and early 20s and it was infiltrated by white supremacists where charlottesville was planned. this will remain fringe because most of the country are people of consciousness and humanity. this will remain fringe if the more inflammatory contents did not go viral online. the fringe may start on a twitch channel and it starts pollinating and spreading and going viral and that is because
8:23 am
the way big technology platforms are organized from youtube to facebook to twitter, across the board is to take content that is sensational that is inflammatory, that is gaslighting and make it more visible to people, why is that? it glues our attention in, it outrages us as consumers and there is no better messenger for that content than our former president. he worked perfectly with the logic with how the platforms and companies operate where formerly subversive content can become more mainstream where it can pollinate because people are experiencing different realities on these platforms. >> congressman, i'm curious for you because i saw a video when aoc and congresswoman marjorie taylor-greene crossed paths and
8:24 am
i found it interesting because twitter fingers are never trying to throw hands and after we saw the violence we saw on january 6th, i do wonder, do you feel safe on capitol hill? do you see the potential to see more physical violence like the violence we saw when the vile i want insurrectionists. some people questioned whether they were aided by members of congress. how safe is capitol hill for you right now? >> for me, i feel safe, but i also served in the united states marine corps as a combat veteran. you shouldn't have to do that to feel safe, right? that's the problem. the environment has totally changed and it's totally changed because you have irresponsible members of congress and by the way, it's not the marjorie taylor-greenes that are the problem and it's the carlos jimenez's on the world who will go on spanish radio and spread misinformation and pretend to be a moderate on english channels and will vote for overturning the election, right?
8:25 am
it's all these types of republicans that placate to the conservative fringe, right? and that's what happens here? the reason misinformation, i think, works is because it gets to fester in these private channels and then these so-called reasonable republicans or politicians basically give the imprint of being serious and they placate what's going on. we have the stupid sham audit because we have the president who couldn't tell her fringe, you're wrong, you're not going to do this, and the reason you end up stopping is you have responsible leader. donald trump was not a responsible leader, right? you can't have the press, donors and voters allowing these so-called leaders of politics to basically help misinformation become more authentic by breathing life into it. >> yeah. look, the problem didn't begin with trump and the problems will
8:26 am
not end with trump. you'll come back, congressman, to have more conversations about this and same to you, professor. up next, people are still struggling in the economy, but you wouldn't know it based on the senate minority leader's comments. mitch, please. i'll break that down next. plea. i'll break that down next. age before beauty? why not both? visibly diminish wrinkled skin in... crepe corrector lotion... only from gold bond. you're clearly someone who takes care of yourself. so why wait to screen for colon cancer? because when caught in early stages, it's more treatable. i'm cologuard. i'm noninvasive and detect altered dna in your stool to find 92% of colon cancers even in early stages.
8:27 am
tell me more. it's for people 45 plus at average risk for colon cancer, not high risk. false positive and negative results may occur. ask your prescriber or an online prescriber if cologuard is right for you. i'm on it. sounds like a plan. good night syra. night, drive safe. i love you. drive safe. ok buh bye mommy. you guys ready? you sure you got everything? drive safe. we all say it; chevy can help you do it. with chevy safety assist standard on the new equinox and trailblazer part of the chevy family of suvs. drive safe.
8:28 am
and trailblazer part of the chevy family of suvs. it only takes a second for an everyday item to become dangerous. tide pods child-guard pack helps keep your laundry pacs in a safe place and your child safer. to close, twist until it clicks. tide pods child-guard packaging.
8:29 am
8:30 am
♪♪ ♪♪ even before this week's disappointing jobs report senate minority leader mitch mcconnell became the poster child for the preposterous and privileged when he faulted the biden administration for approving stimulus benefits and claimed they are hurting the nation's economic recovery. >> it's difficult to get people back to work because now the compensation plans are so generous to not work that you lose the incentive to go back to work. so we're experiencing some of the consequences of this
8:31 am
overspending already. >> that from the seventh richest senator on capitol hill. ain't that about a mitch. just like black lives, facts matter. so before the zone is flooded with right-wing number crunchers who conflate the stock market with the economy let's get something rate. the unemployment rate has steadily fallen to 6% and new claims have dropped for four weeks in a row, and yes, the jobs report was definitely disappointing and there are some instances of a worker shortage, but one, if people are earning more in unemployment, that means the wages are too low and people need to get paid more to return to the workforce, and two, there are many factors keeping people at home. even federal reserve chairman jerome powell noted some reasons that could explain the worker shortage like a lack of child care, lingering covid-19 fears and school closures. how can one return to work if they have no one to keep their
8:32 am
kids. let me assure you, minority leader, no one has generational wealth, a multimillionaire who uses her money, position and status to enrich the pockets of her husband and most of us didn't inherit the positions in life off the back of someone else, that's what someone gifted you, enslaved mostly black women. why don't you speak out on that. forgive me if i detest your entire outlook on the economic well-being of this country, but i really hope your constituents detest you even more because president biden's american families plan that you're trashing includes $225 mill bonn to cover child care costs which could certainly help people back to work, and according to the white house, this would benefit nearly 80,000 children in kentucky. the biden plan would also increase pell grant awards which would support over 92,000 students in kentucky who rely on them. it would also subsidize tuition for at least two years at the
8:33 am
state's two hbcus. that certainly workforce development the country needs right now and while your favorite tax brings, biden would offer tax credit which would offer 900,000 in kentucky alone which are children of color. that is a safety net for all americans. in the words of the great performer ludacris, move, mitch, get out the way. it would take two and a half more years before we regained the jobs we had pre-covid so maybe if the government obstructionists, colonizing slave owners can stop focusing on the 1619 project to keep his family's shameful past out of history books and start focusing on the american people, we may actually see some relief for the
8:34 am
many people who so desperately needed. and a message to kentuckyian, since you keep sending your mitch to d.c., we will send him a very clear message on behalf of all of the taxpayers who juggle the struggle. get on the block and get to work because mitch better have my money. [ crowd cheering ] [ engine revving ] [ race light countdown ]
8:35 am
♪♪ ♪♪ when you save money with allstate you feel like you're winning. safe drivers save 40% saving is easy when you're in good hands. allstate. click or call for a quote today. [tv announcer] come on down to our appliance superstore where we've got the best deals on refrigerators, microwaves, gas ranges and grills. and if you're looking for... ♪ ♪ mornings were made where for better thingst deals on refrigerators, microwaves, than rheumatoid arthritis. when considering another treatment ask about xeljanz, a pill for adults with moderate to severe rheumatoid arthritis when methotrexate has not helped enough. xeljanz can help relieve joint pain and swelling, stiffness, and helps stop further joint damage, even without methotrexate. xeljanz can lower your ability to fight infections.
8:36 am
before and during treatment, your doctor should check for infections, like tb and do blood tests. tell your doctor if you've had hepatitis b or c, have flu-like symptoms, or are prone to infections. serious, sometimes fatal infections, cancers including lymphoma, and blood clots have happened. taking a higher than recommended dose of xeljanz for ra may increase risk of death. tears in the stomach or intestines and serious allergic reactions have happened. don't let another morning go by without asking your doctor about the pill first prescribed for ra more than eight years ago. xeljanz. look ma, no cavities! oh debbie, that's great! you'll always need a healthy smile... because in 60 years, you'll be taking tons of selfies
8:37 am
and sharing them on something called the internet. moms know best. that's why they trust crest. the #1 toothpaste brand in america. okay.
8:38 am
tomorrow is mother's day and moms definitely deserve some extra appreciation this year after parenting through a pandemic. according to "the washington post" as of january, about 10 million american moms were staying home with their school-aged children and not actively employed outside the home, and in a survey last summer, 69% of mothers said they've experienced an adverse health effect from the stress and worry about the pandemic. so we thought we'd ask moms for coping advice this mother's day weekend. and joining me is the former b.e.t. host and katie faang, msnbc legal contributor. ladies, i am so happy you're here. katie, you are juggling a full-time job and the hats that you wear and managing digital learning and everything that goes into child rearing and for all of the mothers who are struggling and pulling their
8:39 am
hair out, tell us what's been the most challenging part of this pandemic and how you've managed. >> being a mom has been one of the most challenging things, but let's be frank, for most moms out there being a mom on a daily basis can be challenging. one of the things it's been a blessing to experience. fundamentally what's been difficult has been the reality of being honest about what our limitations are as women and especially women of color we are always challenged to step up to the plate and to do more and be more, but one of the most humbling experiences has been the pandemic and why? because even before the pandemic women were only earning 82 cents for every dollar that men were earning and now we're playing catch-up and because of the pandemic we've had to learn to just ask for help, for someone like me, speaking out of personal experience has been the hardest thing, that
8:40 am
acknowledging that i have limitations and that i can't have it all and that i need help outside of the immediate village of my mom, my husband, my friends, my family and that's the toughest thing is being honest enough is to look in the mirror, you know what? maybe i'm not going to get to the shower today although i don't agree with the article that we've given up showers. >> i don't agree with that either as someone who has to be around other people. i'm curious about your thoughts and you were a working mom you were like the pin-up girls of the '90s and biggie smalls and you walked away from this illustrious career to be a mom, a stay-at-home mom and you have two teenage kids and an adult child at home and what's been the part of managing this during the pandemic. >> hi, tiff. the most challenging part, honestly has just been the worry. i don't know if we as mothers and women carry this gene where it makes us worry about every
8:41 am
and anything, but the worry of are they okay? so much of their life as they know it has disappeared this year, and that uncertainty, as you said, i have two juniors and life looks so different this year than it did with my older daughter. so trying to make sure they're okay. mental health has been a huge part for us this year with life changing so much, but i think the thing that i've realized that i can do for my kids is emulate for them how they need to be. self care. it sounds so cliche to say you have to have self care for yourself and whatever that is for you, but i think we tell our kids to do things, but honestly, when they see us doing it, and we emulate that behavior, that's where they learn. for me, having strong female friendships showing them that i am more than just their mother. i am a woman. i was a woman before them and as
8:42 am
much as i am a mother, i love doing things with my friends and doing things for myself to really get back to who i am as a person. >> i love that, that's such good advice for moms. you brought up a good point about grandmothers that you need help outside of just your mom, but i have to say this go around, grandmothers play such a huge role in our lives and there are grandmothers that take care of kids and there are grandparents who are helping financially or some people who are in a position of taking care of kids and aging parents. so talk, if you will, about the role of grandmothers during this time. >> yeah, so for my family, my mom who is nana to my 6-year-old charlotte, nana is charlotte's best friend and vice versa, and i think for charlotte what she cease are two things. one, she sees a woman who has really said, you know what, charlotte? you are a priority to me. my mom has that luxury and we
8:43 am
are relying so heavily upon her and her help and without my mom's help we wouldn't be able to do what we do now and i acknowledge, tiffany, they am speaking from a place of privilege. i am an owner of a business, and i run a business, and i have employees and i'm a byproduct of the pandemic as i'm practicing law with my husband now and we have a lot of that stress at the office that we're bringing home, as well and my mom has been a fantastic source of comfort, strength and also a kick my butt, right, when i'm down or when i think i can't do it my mom kicks my butt and says i didn't raise you to be that girl. i didn't raise you to be that woman. i know she's doing that for my daughter and i think that's been a critical part of the pandemic, being able to say that i have an inner kind of system of support that is there, that is not going to turn me away because unlike
8:44 am
several mother, i think the statistic was 51% of moms quit their jobs because of child care and school closings. i've had someone who has been there for me along the way and to my mom, i'm grateful for you. >> we'll have to do this on ig live because we have breaking news to get to, so thank you very much for joining me. sheila jackson-lee is in houston with ben crump and members of george floyd's family about the indictment and former minneapolis police officers. >> to those who suffered without justice, this indictment is again, to raise up the specter that the constitution has a right and role in the violence against inon sent persons and you cannot engage in bad police conduct under color of law with impunity and get away with it. i want to make this point.
8:45 am
this is about police misconduct, bad conduct because as we commemorate this month that honors law enforcement, we will not be tagged and tainted with an opposition with the laws of this land, but the indictment was so visual as it indicated that officer chauvin in particular was willful and the reason, of course, was because at the end of six minutes, when it was apparent that george floyd had no more life, officer chauvin did not move him, did not take him from his prone position, did not unleash him, did not seek to get medical care and the indictment is a glaring statement that you cannot act under color of law. you cannot violate the civil
8:46 am
rights. you can't violate the constitution when it comes to a fellow human being. that is where we are today and it is the persistence of attorney benjamin crump not giving up on these cases that made general garland in the immediacy of the confirmation to begin this process. this is not an easy process, a federal grand jury is not easy, and so in addition to officer chauvin, they've indicated that constitutional rights of george floyd were violated by the other officers but they failed to render aid. please understand, this is embedded in the constitution. that's the distinction between the state cases and now the federal cases which do not
8:47 am
negate cases. the other is shocking to us and painful to us that a teenager was grabbed by the neck, hit on the head with a flight and then kneed in the back. thank god he lived, but he, too provides number one and number two counts. so where we are today is as attorney ben crump said, we have given light and hope to other families who have languished without relief and i must step a little bit out of my boundaries, a little bit out of my boundaries because rodney, i know the mothers that you have met. you have seen how often eric garner's mother comes every time, and so i'm going to raise a question to the department of justice, as to revisiting cases
8:48 am
like eric garner, tamir rice, cases that have languished, trayvon martin, most of you think differently from me, trayvon martin was under color of law because mr. zimmerman was on civil patrol and he was under the jurisdiction of a governmental entity, so this opens the door for at least having the ability to bring these cases to the justice department and ask for reconsideration on new facts, new precedent in the law and new understanding of what happens when you are kneed and an understanding of a boy like trayvon, a young boy in the dark of night and these cases should be looked at and others. i am grateful for this indictment because it means that as a member of congress, i have no influence on the doj, but as
8:49 am
a member of congress i can bring facts to the doj and the doj now will look at those facts and make their own credible, independent decision, that is a sense of hope. that is a sense of hope even for robbie towland in houston, texas. knock, knock, the door is open, how grateful we are, this is a major, major decision. [ applause ] >> thank you so much, congresswoman, for proclaiming that the department of justice is open. that is profound. now we will hear from her colleague, the great congressman who also hails here from houston, texas, who has been a stalworth in the fight for justice for george floyd. congressman al green. >> all right. >> hear, hear!
8:50 am
>> thank you very much, attorney crump. friend, the winds of change are blowing across this nation. the winds of change are blowing across the country as a result of one man whose daughter said he would change the world and that is exactly what's happening. >> amen. the winds of change are blowing and they're blowing because they have attorney crump. i can say to you without question, reservation, hesitation or equivocation, he is the thurgood marshall of this generation because of his courage. he's got the courage. there are many other lawyers who see these injustices that they don't have the intestinal fortitude, what malcolm x called
8:51 am
the chitlins to stand up against injustice. >> amen. >> the winds of change are blowing because of keith ellison. keith ellison, the attorney general. make no mistake about it, for us, state's rights have been state's wrongs. we have always depended on the federal courts. we've always believed that if we could just get to the federal court we could get justice. >> keith ellison stands there with us in the state level. we now see the winds of change. the winds of change are blowing because that jury returned a guilty, guilty, guilty. there are many times when evidence was there, but the jurors didn't have the courage. the winds of change are blowing across this country. the winds of change are blowing because jackson-lee refuses to
8:52 am
let the george floyd justice and policing act go down in flames. she's still fighting for it. the winds of change are blowing across this country. this family. god bless you, dear brothers. how you have been able to do this with your dignity that you have. it means something to know that you have not only suffered and you are suffering through your pain and you have demonstrated to others how to behave under extraordinary circumstances with extraordinary pain. the winds of change are blowing across this country and with these winds of change we now have a justice department that understands that it doesn't end at the state level. that justice department can pick these cases up and let us have
8:53 am
complete justice. >> we have some justice and that's good, but we want total justice. >> amen. >> we want justice for george floyd, but we also want justice for all of those who are potential george floyds if this change takes place it will send a powerful message. a powerful message to those who believe they can act with impunity because they have the long arm of the law in their hands. i cannot tell you what this means to me. i'm just 73 years old. i've been waiting on this for a long time and george floyd's daughter, god bless her, her words are prophetic and her father changed the world,sa i feel this gentle breeze, i know that the spirit of george floyd
8:54 am
is contained therein, because the winds of change are blowing across this country. >> yes, they are. thank you. >> thank you, congressman and before we hear brief remarks from rodney and brandy, and we have shabbaz to briefly address you. >> thank you so very much. i am so very honored to be here at texas southern university in third ward texas where i left the retouching of the mural in the street, at the high school and i am so esteemed to stand here with the family and mr. crump and my sister told me to
8:55 am
make sure i told him thank you for giving a voice to the voiceless, and so i'm going to say that you know, we are fighting very, very hard to get these laws changed, to bring equity, equality and fairness and we also have a great challenge in changing hearts of men because the laws may be easy, but changing hearts is very difficult and that is what is going to be required. certainly the laws will give consequences, but we certainly need to change the hearts to stop the actions, and so i'm here glad to stand with all of those that are here. i am so very honored. i am a texas southern grad, and masters and doctorate and he imparted some great words especially to those who will be severely impacted because texas southern university is predominantly african-american and latino and so certainly
8:56 am
we're in the heart of third ward texas and the words and the actions of my colleagues and this family who have stood strong and i can't imagine how difficult that can be. i am so very honored and i am carolyn shabbaz and i am the congressman for district d and the district of designation and it is for the people in these areas for which i speak so thank you very, very much. >> thank you very much. [ applause ] >> thank you very much, councilwoman. now we will hear from the brother of george floyd who slept in the bed with him, crossed the street in cuny homes and rodney, philonise, jaja, la toya, bridges, terence, all his brothers and sisters and nephew,
8:57 am
brandon, they continue to be so dignified as they continue to fight for justice, whole justice for george floyd. read me floyd. >> so yesterday we received a phone call from the attorney general saying and you can hear the sincerity in his voice. you can hear that he was very tested and moved by our brother's death and the police officer's conduct. he spoke with us for about 15 minutes. i mean, and just explained to us that, hey, we have indictment charges going against these four officers, four more officers and it put a smile on our faces. i know just hearing how touched and moved that he was that he was going to give this his all and he'll hold these guys to accountability and we grew up right across the street from the texas southern university cuny
8:58 am
homes and it is a big graduation day for these young men and women and we're happy and honored that we are invited here to this event, and i mean, it means a lot. walking through this campus brings back memories and i've passed through here as a child -- >> it's never too late, but seeing the faces of these wonderful men and women, getting ready to go out of this world and they spent time studying and training for what they're about to do and they're stepping into the world of two justice systems. one for black african-americans and one for the white folks and this right here will be very hard for them because at this moment they're all celebrating happy smiles with their family and they want to go out into this world and do what they've been wanting to do and training to go to school, and there are a lot of obstacles ahead of them, but they do know that and it's a beautiful thing. we're all in good troubles
8:59 am
together. and you know, congresswoman sheila jackson-lee has been here for us every step of the way. brother al green, every step of the way. misshabbaz, every step of the way and they call us and give us advice and tell us repeatedly our phone lines are open and they know this road better than the floyd family know this road. they've been down this road and have been fighting so long and mr. al green said it best, 73 years old and he's been waiting for a moment like this. unfortunately, it had to come and we all had to meet in my brother's death and we would have met definitely any way it goes, but the fight these men and women have in them, hey, we're going to keep on fighting for our people, for equality. >> yes, sir. thank you guys. >> thank you.
9:00 am
>> good job, brother. good job. >> and now you will hear from a young man who talked to george on a daily basis because george was like a father to him. mr. brandon williams, his nephew. >> i just want to say thank you to everybody who was up here standing with us. congressman al green, always there, we appreciate you as well as ms. shabbaz. miss jackson-lee, auntie, she's always there, and random 2:00 in the morning some nights and even comes to eat with the family so she's there for the part of the family and we appreciate everything that you do. and of course, we call him the michael jordan of civil right, that's what our family calls him, always there, always hard working and always on the front line fighting for the cause.

131 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on